As many here will know, we suffered a disastrous and traumatic fire which tore
through our workshop last June, and in the aftermath, we found ourselves
looking at different ways of trying to make a fresh start and moving on after
this psychologically-challenging event. It wasn't all bad, last year: Steve
McCurry, who took the iconic photograph of green-eyed Sharbat Gula, usually
known as the 'Afghan Girl' for National Geographic magazine, which has rightly
been described by many as the twentieth century's Mona Lisa, photographed us in
our workshop (before the fire) for inclusion in his recent book of photographs
'People & Places', which shows various artisans and artists, poets and writers,
who live and work in the South Bank area of London.

A Facebook 'business page' had been suggested to us by Emily, daughter of
guitar maker Gary Southwell, back in February 2014, and she helped us set up a
basic page; the idea was to run something in parallel to our website, something
which would complement it, but which we could update ourselves with news of
what we were up to, showing what was being made, work in progress and general
stuff that we hoped would be interesting to read – in other words, more of a
newsletter, something which the business Facebook page format seemed to
encourage.

We didn't do much to develop it at that stage due to pressure of work, but in
the aftermath of the fire we were looking at various ideas to help us renew and
grow both the workshop and our own lives, both of which were almost stopped
dead by the fire; it's certainly true to say that in that inferno, Steve came
closer to death than he had ever experienced, so we were looking for positive
ways forwards. One of the strategies was to renew our presence at the Utrecht
Festival, housed in an exciting new building, the Tivoli Vredenburg; we hadn't
attended the Utrecht festival in ten years, due to its relocation in various
unsuitable buildings, while the original Vredenburg centre was being rebuilt.

Old friends David van Ooijen and Michiel Niessen both encouraged us to go to
Utrecht, and they presented a demonstration of our instruments on the Saturday
afternoon; during discussions and planning of this demonstration, they both
encouraged us to get to grips with our Facebook page, and get it out there.

Having received the encouragment from David and Michiel, we've been trying out
new images and posting various news items, and we've received a lot of positive
feedback and comment, and of course it has occurred to us that many who read
the Lute List might be interested in knowing that the page exists, so please
excuse the blatant plug!

The URL is:     www.facebook.com/BarberAndHarris

We hope you find somehing there of interest; there are for example short films,
including one made by science communication students at Imperial College,
London, entitled  'A pair of human hands', also a short film about the Yards
where we work, which was shot during an Open Studios summer event, and
'Craftwork: Rhythm for Lute' by Louis-Jack Horton-Stephens, which has been
entered in various European film festivals. And of course instruments being
made and other updates and stuff we hope will interest the visitor.

Sandi and Stephen.