Some rather sweeping generalizations here.

I’m currently reading Wolf Hall. My knowledge of Tudor England is not what it
could be so the book often sends me Googling. I every case I’ve encountered
so far it seems that Ms. Mantel has done her research.

As for adaptations - while I haven’t seen it I’m given to understand that
The Tudors was done as a bit of a bodice ripper. The BBC  production of Wolf
Hall is most definitely not.

Aside from “Ah, Robin” played on lute over the opening, the music falls in
two categories: Any music that is mise en scene - that the characters on screen
would have heard - is real 16th C music. (There is a shawm band.)  There is
also a modern background score of which the best I can say is that it it
unobtrusive.

Beyond music, the BBC has gone to a staggering amount of work to get the
visuals correct. Check out some of the material here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02gfy02
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02gfy02>

I’ve also just seen the excellent Royal Shakespeare Company production. (Wolf
Hall and Bring Up the Bodies - 3 hours each on the same day with a break for
dinner.) Which brings up a question for Ron: Does your antipathy to historical
fiction extend to the Shakespeare history plays? You could, if you like, argue
that Shakespeare was a better writer than Ms. Mantel and Mike Poulton (who did
the RSC adaptation) but is there any fundamental difference in what they are
doing?