--001a11c35b4c9e155e0516fefe80

I had PegHeds (that is how the inventor and manufacturer spells his
product) installed on a 10 c Ren lute.  19 PegHeds to replace tired, worn,
crappy wooden friction pegs that had broken off, actually started shearing
off under load.  The lute was used and I had just gotten it.  Chuck Herin,
the PegHed guy is, by pure luck, only about 2 hours from me here in South
Carolina.  I drove the instrument to him, he made very small bore changes
in the pegbox and installed them.  Here are before and after pics of the
lute's pegbox.  The PegHeds cost $30 a piece.  That adds up but what was it
costing me to have a lute with 1/2 of the broken pegs missing and so
unplayable, what would it have cost me to take it to a lute luthier and
have new friction pegs turned and installed and how long would that have
taken.  Then I would have been back to friction pegs.  Add both costs up
and the PegHeds were a no brainer!  I recommend them highly.

Michael

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 11:20 AM, Dan Winheld <dwinh...@lmi.net> wrote:

> I am neither conventional nor wise, so I can only offer my own personal
> experience & opinions:
>
> Most people love them, I wouldn't pay $20 for a barrelful of them. But
> they are life saver on Orpharions; or any multi-string, double-course low
> tension wire strung instrument. For those instruments, and those
> instruments alone, I would consider them almost a necessity.
>
> They are nice on my Baroque lute student's 13 course instrument - but
> string changing is his problem!
> Hate them on my own 8  course, but I have adapted & gotten used to them-
> and that lute is so good I put up with them. The conventional but
> exquisitely fitted pegs on my Vihuela are a lot faster & easier than the
> Pegheads on my lute; I am used to the quick action of the 1 to 1 "gear
> ratio" of no gears! String changes? Instant!
>
> No gears for me, thanks!
>
> Da
>

> On 5/26/2015 6:22 AM, Charles Mokotoff wrote:
>
>>     I took delivery of a new lute this week that has Pegheads installed.
>>     I've never been one for much authenticity, so this doesn't bug me at
>>     all. All I can say is, where have they been all my lute life? I don't
>>     know what I am going to do with all the extra time I have now. They
>> are
>>     fantastic. The only single thing I miss is the simplicity of removing
>>     string with conventional pegs, but to be able to just sit there and
>> put
>>     your left hand up to easily tweak tuning feels miraculous to me.
>>     I am curious what the conventional wisdom is on these.
>>
>>     --

__________________________________
Michael M. Grant, PhD, MBA
*Coastal Psychological Consulting, PA*
74 Lodge Trail
Pawleys Island, SC 29585
843.314.3263 Phone
843.314.3784 Fax
www.coastalpsychological.com

--001a11c35b4c9e155e0516fefe80

spells his product) installed on a 10 c Ren lute.  19 PegHeds to replace
tired, worn, crappy wooden friction pegs that had broken off, actually started
shearing off under load.  The lute was used and I had just gotten it.  Chuck
Herin, the PegHed guy is, by pure luck, only about 2 hours from me here in
South Carolina.  I drove the instrument to him, he made very small bore
changes in the pegbox and installed them.  Here are before and after pics of
the lute&#39;s pegbox.  The PegHeds cost $30 a piece.  That adds up but what
was it costing me to have a lute with 1/2 of the broken pegs missing and so
unplayable, what would it have cost me to take it to a lute luthier and have
new friction pegs turned and installed and how long would that have taken.
Then I would have been back to friction pegs.  Add both costs up and the
 >class="gmail_quote">On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 11:20 AM, Dan Winheld <span
 >dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:dwinh...@lmi.net";
 >class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc
 >solid;padding-left:1ex">I am neither conventional nor wise, so I can only
 >offer my own personal experience &amp; opinions:<br>
Most people love them, I wouldn&#39;t pay $20 for a barrelful of them. But they
are life saver on Orpharions; or any multi-string, double-course low tension
wire strung instrument. For those instruments, and those instruments alone, I
would consider them almost a necessity.<br>
They are nice on my Baroque lute student&#39;s 13 course instrument - but
string changing is his problem!<br>
Hate them on my own 8  course, but I have adapted &amp; gotten used to them-
and that lute is so good I put up with them. The conventional but exquisitely
fitted pegs on my Vihuela are a lot faster &amp; easier than the Pegheads on my
lute; I am used to the quick action of the 1 to 1 &quot;gear ratio&quot; of no
gears! String changes? Instant!<br>
No gears for me, thanks!<br>
On 5/26/2015 6:22 AM, Charles Mokotoff wrote:<br>
solid;padding-left:1ex">
    I took delivery of a new lute this week that has Pegheads installed.<br>
    I&#39;ve never been one for much authenticity, so this doesn&#39;t bug me
at<br>
    all. All I can say is, where have they been all my lute life? I
don&#39;t<br>
    know what I am going to do with all the extra time I have now. They
are<br>
    fantastic. The only single thing I miss is the simplicity of removing
a<br>
    string with conventional pegs, but to be able to just sit there and
put<br>
    your left hand up to easily tweak tuning feels miraculous to me.<br>
    I am curious what the conventional wisdom is on these.<br>
    --<br>
To get on or off this list see list information at<br>
target="_blank">http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html</a><br>
class="gmail_signature"><div
dir="ltr"><div>__________________________________<br>Michael M. Grant, PhD,

--001a11c35b4c9e155e0516fefe80--