I should have actually looked at my copy of Jane Pickledherring’s Lute Book
before I responded tp your last post, but I had to move what interior designers
refer to as “a whole bunch of stuff” to get to it.  I’ve moved the whole bunch
of stuff after reading:

> On Jul 5, 2015, at 7:53 PM, John Mardinly <john.mardi...@asu.edu> wrote:
>
>   That thought occurred to me, but you would have to rip the pages out of
>   the book. There are 12 consecutive pages upside down with respect to
>   the rest of the book.

Right you are, of course.  I was thinking of an entirely different book.  So
never mind...

> I have lots of "table music" scores, and they
>   have the two parts on the same page with just one part upside down;

so that one player can read it while hanging from the chandelier

>   trios have one part sideways, etc.

So that one player can read it while nailed to the wall.

> My suspicion was that bookbinders are human and just goof occasionally.

That’s certainly a plausible explanation.  I haven’t dealt directly with
bookbinders as such, so I can’t form an opinion about what species they belong
to, but the book is a manuscript, and looking at the book itself (see above) it
seems just as likely that the person who wrote those pages (who was not Jane
Pickledherring) may have started from a blank page well on in the book (or at
the end) and went in the opposite direction, as if the end of the manuscript
was his/her beginning, in which case "upside down” is in the eye of the
beholder.