I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "early" harp. I play both Celtic harp and and various instruments in the lute family, all without nails. You would need nails for the harp only if it is wire strung, like the clairseach (spelled various ways). If it is strung in synthetics or gut, there would be no reason to play with nails. But I confess that I know very little about how the harp is played in South America. Someone on the list from that part of the world may be able to advise you better.

-----Original Message----- From: Edward Chrysogonus Yong
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 10:43 PM
To: Lute List
Subject: [LUTE] Playing both Lute and Harp

Hello collective wisdom!

Question: does anyone play early harp and lute? Someone's given me a South American folk harp that I'm thinking of stringing and using as a single-rank (manual?) generic 'early harp'.

My concern is that as a lute player, I can't grow nails. If anyone here plays early harps as well as lute, advice would be much appreciated. I recall someone with a gothic harp at a UK Lute Society meeting once over a decade ago.

Thanks all!

Edward Yong

========

τούτο ηλεκτρονικόν ταχυδρομείον εκ είΦωνου εμεύ επέμφθη.
Hæ litteræ electronicæ ab iPhono missæ sunt.
此電子郵件發送于自吾iPhone。
This e-mail was sent from my iPhone.