Dear all,
   Thank you for all your responses!   Deciphering puzzling pieces such as
   this make such interesting discussion!   Wayne is correct, it is the
   staynes morris tune, but the choral version I have is VERY different,
   as many have cited here.   Not only is the time signature different in
   the Choral piece (4/4) where the original is "mostly" in 6/8, there are
   also many ficta changes.   In the first measure of the pieces, the f#
   is f natural in the choral piece, in the 2nd measure, the e naturals
   are e flats in the choral piece.   Clearly, changing this from "major"
   to minor" and changing the rhythm clearly makes the melody almost
   unrecognizable.   Not to mention, The Ballet version is in relative g
   minor, where the choral version is in e minor (perhaps inspired by a
   guitar arrangement?).
   I had looked at Staynes Morris, but looking at the major inflection
   with the rhythm not matching, I missed it.   Good eye, Wayne!
   Also thanks to Denys, Art, Allan, Bruno, and all who contributed to
   this discussion!   You all were correct.
   The choir director gave me the piece in 4 parts, and on the sheet he
   gave me, it states:
   Text:  Old English Carol, Sloane MS. 2593
   Music:  BALLET 2483
               From William Ballet's Lute Book, c. 1600, MS in the Library
   of Trinity College, Dublin
               Harmonization by Dr. Charles Wood from The Cowley Carol
   Book, 1902.
   I wanted to play the original between verses for a contrast, but that
   would result in chaos, with a key change, ficta change, rhythm change,
   etc.   I shall simply play along with the score of the choral part, and
   improvise a solo part. The arranger could have done is a favor by
   identifying which piece inspired the arrangement.
   Thanks!

   On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 10:52 AM, Wayne <[1]wst...@cs.dartmouth.edu>