   1) instruments are tuned to A=415,

   [a|]

   When strings are slackened a bit they do not project quite as well to
   the ears of those who were first trained on modern instruments

   <<

   Thinking error.

   We do not slacken strings but choose the appropriate diameters for the
   desired tensions.

   De VisA(c)e did not slacken his strings to play at 392Hz nor did
   Monteverdi's theorbo players tighten theirs to play 465Hz. They choose
   their strings to match their desired string tensions in the prevalent
   pitch. As do we.

   If you like a bright, dazzling sound you choose a high string tension,
   no matter what the pitch. If you prefer a sonorous, warm and relaxed
   sound you choose a low string tension. Pitch does not  cause the
   difference in sound, the string choice of the player does.

   David

   David van Ooijen
   [1]davidvanooi...@gmail.com
   [2]www.davidvanooijen.nl