From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
stephen arndt
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2016 5:13 PM
To: lute mailing list list
Subject: [LUTE] Francesco da Milano

   Dear Lute Friends,

   A number of years ago, I checked out Arthur Ness's edition of Francesco
   da Milano from a local university music library and made myself a
   French tab version of the fantasies and ricercars (Ness 1a91) since,
   like many people, I find French tab easier to read than Italian tab.
   (Dick Hoban kindly proofread my work and made corrections. If any
   errors remain, they are entirely mine.) I have played through these
   pieces every so often and finally decided some five months ago to try
   to record them. Today I finished that project and invite you to listen
   here:
   [1]http://www.verseandsong.com/song/renaissance-lute/francesco-da-milan
   o-fantasie-e-ricercari/ (to hear an individual piece, click on its
   title; to listen to the entire collection, use the playlist at the very
   bottom of the page).

   It was my intention to record the easier and shorter pieces first and
   then to proceed according to the level of difficulty and length.
   Although I did not fulfill that intention as well as I would have
   liked, and though the two categories overlap (some shorter pieces are
   rather difficult, and some longer ones are fairly easy), that approach
   still served as a kind of lute tutor, and I feel that my overall skill
   level improved as I made my way through the collection. It is a method
   I would recommend to anyone.

   After years of subscribing to this list, I recognize the names of most
   of those who post here and assume that most people recognize mine, even
   though I do not post very frequently. Nevertheless, if anyone is new to
   the list, I feel obligated to add that these are the home recordings of
   an amateur, self-taught musician. Please do not expect professional
   quality of either the recordings or the playing. Bearing that in mind,
   please feel free to leave a comment on my website or to e-mail me with
   your feedback. I would love to hear from anyone who is kind enough to
   listen. It might make nice background music while you are reading or
   going through e-mails.

   Best regards,

   Stephen Arndt