Dear Martin, Martyn, and all,
   This is a very nice posting, and I agree with the idea that perhaps
   tensions were much lower than we seem to use today.   Toyohiko Satoh
   has been doing this very thing for years, which is playing with the
   right hand close to the bridge, with low tension strings, using plain
   or pure gut, no metal.
   For a few years I have been playing my 11-course Frei, 67.5 cm. mensur,
   at a = 415, in pure gut.   I have discovered that using all gut, no
   metal, can produce a wonderful sound, even down to the 11th course with
   no bass rider or swan extension.
   ed

   On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 10:46 AM, Martin Shepherd