Actually, the one-on-one option is a potentially good thing.

If there's a disagreement, it may be best handled in a more private conversation, rather than sharing with the whole list. I think that even on the internet, one on one interactions tend to be more civil than yelling to the crowd.

And one always has the option of blocking a specific sender on one's email server.

Al