   From: Ron Andrico
   Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:49 AM
   To: Lute Net
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: Shakespeare songs

      Having researched the repertory of Shakespeare songs in some depth,
      there are no surviving songs for two trebles with a secure
   connection
      to the plays - at least none that come to mind.  You might make a
   case
      for "Sweet Kate of late ranne away", from Robert Jones, _A Musicall
      Dreame_ (1609).  While tenuous, the connection might be drawn to
   Kate
      in Shakespeare's _The taming of the Shrew _.

      Duffin's book should be approached with caution if you want useful
      performing editions.  While there are several securely attributed
   texts
      presented, most are very speculative, and all of the melodies to
   tunes
      are stripped of their accompanying parts.  Many texts are
   speculatively
      set to known Elizabethan ballad tunes using a computer program.  A
      human element in the form of a real singer should have been
   introduced
      into the equation.

      RA