I don't play anything of the transitional tuning period, but my
experience with retuning between D or C on my eighth course makes me
wonder about the need to change strings for retuning.  (I came up [aided
by Dan Larsen] with a gimped gut that's not too flabby on the C, not too
bright on the D.)  Perhaps it's easier to accommodate variable tuning with
higher pitches?  Are different materials more amenable to this? Do you
need several lutes, or simply a program arranged from a single tuning
scheme?

Thanks—just curious,
Leonard Williams