In my opinion, only a handful of extremists claiming to defend the
   purity of the music would belittle Sting's recording. Even some of the
   terrifying recordings of lute music by some real bad players on YouTube
   have a least one positive impact: On the player him/herself. The
   'knowing' public smiles at awful performances and moves on (the folks I
   know do), in no way even these people don't bring down lute music or
   Mr. Dowland or anybody else.

   If there's only one player (and apparently there's one on this list)
   who was moved by Sting's recording to pick up the lute then there is a
   positive impact on the public. And as far as the purity of any early
   music is concerned: Let's listen to some identical Dowland pieces
   recorded recently say by O'Dette and Hopkinson. They sound complete
   different and I think it is great that they do. With the distance of
   over 400 years and the lost knowledge of the time we discover and bring
   out things in the music that we find remarkable today - if Mr. Dowland
   or Francesco or whoever had that in mind is nothing to be concerned
   about. We live the music now and it is the best service that we can do
   to  early music - which is keeping it alive.

   Just my opinion as said in the beginning.

   Best

   Jurgen

   "You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean in a drop"
   Rumi