Lynda,

I’m currently running both Fronimo 2.1 and 3.0 on my Mac and Linux (Ubuntu)
systems using Wine (version 2.0.1).  My Macs are running OS X El Capitan, but
I’ve also had success using Fronimo on OS X Yosemite.  Other Mac Fronimo users
might need to give their input on this, as I’m not really a Fronimo power user.
For my needs, it runs well enough.

 The setup under Wine can be a little finicky, and may take some tweaking to
get things to run correctly - but if you’re persistent, it can be done.   If
you’re comfortable using the command line on your Mac, Wine is the cheapest way
to get Fronimo running.  There are some drawbacks to using Wine, as very few
Windows apps run flawlessly in Wine – it’s usually a hit-and-miss affair.  If
you’re not comfortable with the command line, there are a few “helper” apps to
get started, such as WineSkin, WineBottler, (and WineTricks on Linux) that will
allow you to tweak the Wine setup and application installation using a
graphical interface.

If you’ve got additional Windows programs to run, I’d suggest using either
VMware Fusion, Parallels, or Oracle VirtualBox to run Windows as a virtual
machine on your Mac.   The down-side of using a Virtual Machine, is that you’ll
need a licensed copy of Windows for the virtual machine.  Also, if your Mac is
an older laptop like mine (2010-2012), running VM sessions can cause the laptop
to run hotter than normal.  It will spin the hard drive and fans up constantly,
and the additional heat may exacerbate issues with the GPU failures the older
machines are prone to experience.  My Mac Pro doesn’t have that problem.

Take care,

Ron Banks

On 9/27/17, 10:51 PM, "Lynda Kraar" <lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu on behalf of