Dear lute netters,

a former classmate  (45 years ago) has inherited a picture of a girl playing a
lute an asked me for help.

To my great surprise the lute is a 10c lute, not a Wandervogel lute. My first
guess was that it is a copy.

It was easy to find the original. It is The Lute Player by Orazio Gentileschi.

        See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lute_Player_(Orazio_Gentileschi)

The copy is somewhat simple and certainly not worth much. However, it would be
interesting to identify the painter. The signature is

        Jo Schmitz cop.

Jo probably stands for Johann and cop. certainly means copy.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about painting.

If anybody thinks he can help, please send a private mail and I will send a few
photographs of the painting.

Best wishes,

Rainer