When Mel Wong rebuilt my 50- year-old (at least) Wandervogl lute (it
   sounds identical to yours except the scalloped frets) he mentioned the
   top had probably needed telephone wires to activate the top. Previously
   it had always been strung in nylon and wound and was pretty quiet.
   After a new top, neck and pegbox it's actually an acceptable lute 68cm.