Does anyone know what exact differences existed between the mandolino and the mandola in the 18th century? Were the two terms really interchangeable? Was the mandola just a mandolino with one added bass course? Did they share a common tuning and playing technique? From what I gather from searching the WEB, the answer to those questions would be yes, but I am still puzzled and would like to have the opinion of mandolino/mandola players and instrument makers if at all possible. And maybe also linguists: why two words?
Thanks in advance,
Alain
PS: I have read James Tyler's article on the mandolino in Early Music, 1981, but don't have a copy of his book  "The early mandolin".