   From: Mimmo - Aquila Corde Armoniche <mperu...@aquilacorde.com>
   To: Lutelist <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Monday, 4 December 2017, 8:09
   Subject: [LUTE] unwound Synthetic CD basses for long diapasons: make it
   sense?
   Hello,
   Some are telling me to produce longer CD strings for the long theorbo
   diapasons.
   Actually, I have some strong doubts: the tonal balance with the fretted
   strings will became even worse; the sound, in general, will became too
   bright and 'modern'.
   The risk is that we will lost the sense of the 'fondamento', whose
   sound should imitate the human voice and be dark, not too brilliant.
   I know: many performers already uses long wound strings; at the same
   time we know that the extended necks were introduced to accomodate
   plain gut strings, not for denser gut/synthetic version of it or even
   wound strings.
   Actually, I would like to stay in the direction that can make of
   support of the traditional Lute/theorbo sound, not in the direction to
   destroy it making a sort of... elettric chitarrone (Lol).
   Maybe things can be different if we are specking of these special kind
   of invented short neck theorboes  that are today whidely in use when
   one must take a fly. We know how hard is to fly with a standard
   theorbo.
   These instruments has only an option that work: wound strings. Making a
   longer CD for this kind of instruments can be maybe a good option?
   Maybe making them of 1,40 cms max so one cannot install them on the
   'real' theorboes...
   Guys, which is you opinion?
   Mimmo Peruffo