A couple of additional thoughts which might be useful:

Speed is always relative.  I've noticed that orchestras often play baroque "fast movements" extremely fast, and thereby lose any possibility of phrasing/sprung rhythms etc.  Just because something is fast doesn't in itself make it exciting.

One way to think about choosing a speed for a piece is to (a) play it as slowly as possible without losing the overall structure of phrases and (b) to play it as fast as possible without losing any details.

Martin