Dear Nancy,

1688

And the words seem fairly clear, 3 dozen strings and 5 wire strings to be played upon.

David

At 14:35 -0800 27/12/18, Nancy Carlin wrote:
Or like a bandora crossed with lirone. So when did Randle Holme write this description? How many string might have been played on and how many were sympathetic?
Nancy
Better still, the Bandura old style with a similar curved bridge and all.

Cheers,

Lex

Op 27 dec. 2018, om 21:35 heeft David Van Edwards <da...@vanedwards.co.uk> het volgende geschreven:

It's just occurred to me that the arrangement of strings on the Poliphant seems remarkably like that on a torban.

David

Dear Ed and Arthur and Rainer,

Here is a link to a page I've put together showing the Randle Holme description and sketch of the Poliphant. His Academy of Armory is an unbelievably confusing but comprehensive descriptive list of objects from seventeenth century English life. Just above the Poliphant you'll see his sketch of an English theorbo which Davide Rebuffa first pointed me to.

http://www.vanedwards.co.uk/RandleHolme.htm

Best wishes,

David