I thinkĀ  personally Leonardo played a lira da bracchio, - an instrument that perhaps could have been not very different from a vihuela - if we consider its opposite the lira d'arco, i.e. a bowed instrument. If I recall correctly - 30 years after reading Vasari - Vasari praised Leonardo on his talent for improvisation on the lira, which ties nicely with the main type of music on the lute at the time, the ricercar. Also, Leonardo's mind would have been open to exploring the "music of the spheres", i.e. a "clean", mathematically connected art, as opposed to Michelangelo's dirty business of chipping marble ...

The link below goes to a site where luthiers tried to reconstitute Leonardo's "lira"

http://www.manetti.com/en/2017/05/02/international-lutherie-competition/

This is a link to terminological difficulties concerning the lira:

https://books.google.com/books?id=BjBllk5fVDMC&pg=PA3&lpg=PA3&dq=lira+d%27arco&source=bl&ots=1ho7ScHigz&sig=ACfU3U2ABAbyXukvYGORaFW-kns3Wtk5_w&hl=fr&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwifk_3ryvrhAhWLrFQKHXH_BNcQ6AEwEHoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=lira%20d'arco&f=false