Dear Martyn,

Maybe one of the two archlutes by Venere and Sellas in the Bologna, Museo Civico Medievale Inv. Nos 1748 and 1749?

Both have been restored by the GNM in Nürnberg but it's probably the much copied little one by Sellas 640 + 1340, which I believe is in playing order. I have no evidence about who might have played it historically! Does anyone?

As far as I know the only lute in the Bologna, Filamonia Accademia is the famous 1592 Venere 7 course which Stephen Murphy brought to the lute world's attention..

In the Museo Civico Medievale there is also the curious (stage prop?) open bodied flat lyre shaped instrument which is more or less identical to the one in KHM in Vienna SAM 61 which they call a Lyracister. Both of these are laid out in archlute stringing layout so maybe it could be this? Seems unlikely.

Best wishes,

David