Good shot, Francesco ;-) !

Jean-Marie

Le 21/07/2019 à 12:16, tribioli a écrit :
    I know only one thing: for me 1/6 comma practically works. No slanted
    frets nor tastini. I don't bear anymore to play early Renaissance music
    in equal temperament which on the other hand I use on all the later
    music as it allows to play in other keys than the "standard"
    Renaissance keys.

    I think there were not so many rules in the past. Galilei advocates
    against tastini, so there were people using them and meantone
    temperament. How many we don't know. Piccinini advocates playing with
    nails, others say not. Besard says to stretch the thumb out, some
    others say to do so if your hand allows it (for instance, I have a
    short thumb, one falanx shorter than usual). In any case, Besard (if I
    remember correctly) blames those who play shaking their hand, so there
    were some musicians that still played thumb under at his time. How many
    we don't know. Lately, some, many?, people played with the pinky very
    close or behind the bridge, so they probably had lower string tensions,
    which is probably good for instruments with many strings, and a
    completely different sound of what now people think is nice. Even our
    instruments are biased by our ideal, sweet, sound, which BTW is
    different from what was considered a good sound thirty years ago, but
    if one reproduces exactly the thickness and bar dimensions of the
    surviving boards, the sound that comes out is much brighter. Ok, it
    depends on the board stiffness too, but that's it.

    It is a modern, romantic, idea that everything in music must be
    written, the thecnique must be absolutely that etc. The old masters,
    simply did what they liked more and worked better for them, of course
    to the degree the instrument allowed. They wrote their own music or
    freely adapted what was composed by others, simplifying or adding
    diminutions as they thought was fit and their thecnique allowed. As in
    the case of the lute there is no continuity because no one have played
    it for a couple of centuries, we can only guess and try to stay close
    to what they "probably" did. If we like to do so, because at the end no
    one wrote a law so the lutenists have to play only old music! Freedom
    (in art, at least)!

    Happy plucking