Dear Luca,

That's an interesting reference and clearly the term was commonly used in that way since there's even a label in the Unverdorben swan-neck lute in Fenton House which reads:
Marx Unverdorben in Venetia 158-
[illegible] 161-
Gabriel David Buchstetter Lauden und / Geigen-Macher zu Stadt am Hoff nebst / Regenspurg Anno 1747 / Renoviert un Theorbirt

It seems as if the term was used through the centuries and in different countries for different instruments whose only common feature is having unstopped longer strings carried on a separate pegbox.

It's only a problem for us when trying to establish standard terms for ourselves nowadays. In many ways the most successful scheme is Friedmann Hellwig's idea of simply giving letter names for the different shapes and layouts from his master reference sketches which he outlines in his article in Early Music Oct 1981 and which is used in the Lautenweltaddressbuch database. However this falls down on the difference between the 18th century mandora and the renaissance lute, since they both come under A or B

Best wishes,

David