Am Freitag, 06. September 2019 20:56 CEST, <jjnoo...@sbcglobal.net> schrieb:

> Hi, folks—
>
> I was just asked to produce some program notes for a concert taking place in
> about 2 weeks. Of course, my notes are due in less than a week to accommodate
> the program editor, etc.
>
> The concert features music for lute, gallichon/colochon and early guitar as
> well as music for viola da gamba and focuses on the end of the baroque era
> and the demise of the viol and lute.
>
> In any case, I have to write a bit about the gallichon/colochon and I know
> some of you out there have experience with the instrument and some of you may
> even have some strong opinions about what it was, what it was called (and
> why) and what music was played on it.
>
> I have a Lute News article by Linda Sayce, an LSA newsletter about Vivaldi’s
> leuto by Eric Liefeld and an article by Donald Gill from LS journal, all
> dealing with these instruments. And, of course, Grove/Oxford Online article
> on calichon.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions of more recent articles, etc. that I might want
> look at? I don’t have a lot of time, so I cannot go too far down the rabbit
> hole on this, but if there are any new ideas floating around, it would be fun
> to have a look at them.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

Probably the most up-to-date entry point would be Andreas Schlegel's book on
european lutes. He also
provides some online information at
https://accordsnouveaux.ch/de/instrumente/mandora-galizona-colascione

There you'll find both a list of extant works for the instrument (family) as
well as a bibliography.

HTH, RalfD

--
Ralf Mattes