On Jan 5, 2020, at 5:19 PM, Antonio Corona <abcor...@mail.cs.dartmouth.edu>
wrote:

> Luis Milán, Libro de motes (1535): Don Luys Milan
>
> Luis Milán, El Maestro (1535-36): Luys Milan
>
> Luis Milán, El cortesano (1561): Don Luys Milan
>
> Juan Fernández de Heredia, Las obras ... (1562): Don Luys Milan
>
> Gaspar Gil Polo, Diana enamorada (1564): Don Luys Milan

So we can be fairly sure he wasn’t trying to escape creditors.

A couple of points relating to the underlying question:

Even if Milan’s family name came from the Italian city, it doesn’t mean he he
had any practical ties to Italy. I speak as someone whose name means “from
Posen” (or Poznan, when, as now, the city is within Poland), and I couldn’t
tell you the first thing about the place (or maybe I just did, and I couldn’t
tell the second thing about it), and I think many of you would find my
ignorance about all things Polish truly impressive if I chose to display it.
For all I know my ancestors were there as recently as 1900.

And wouldn’t a Milanese refer to the city as Milano?