   From: lute-...@new-old-mail.cs.dartmouth.edu
   <lute-...@new-old-mail.cs.dartmouth.edu> on behalf of Frank A. Gerbode,
   M.D. <sa...@gerbode.net>
   Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 6:31 PM
   To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Subject: [LUTE] Transposing/transcribing in fronimo.

   You may already know this, but transcription from one instrument (or
   tuning) to another can be done pretty easily through fronimo. Say you
   start with a version for Baroque lute in ton ravissant. If you go to
   F5/instrument, click on "transpose and transcribe" and then change the
   tuning to archlute (customized to fit whatever key you are using. This
   field doesn't use the "b" symbol, so you have to specify, e.g., Eb as
   D#, etc.) and hit OK, you will get a new version for the new
   instrument.
   Looking at the new version, you may need to tweak it a bit to make it
   playable, but that approach definitely works. I also use this strategy
   for converting from one sized lute to another. For example, suppose you
   have a ground written for bass lute in D. To rewrite it for, say, a 7
   or
   8-course or archlute in G, you start with the original version, go into
   F5/instrument and change the "first course" setting to D (the default
   setting is G), without hitting "transcribe or "transpose and
   transcribe", then hit "apply"; then change "first course" to G and
   choose "renaissance 7 course" or "renaissance 8-course" or "archlute",
   hit "transpose and transcribe", then OK, and you will get a new version
   for lute in G, which, again, you will usually have to tweak a bit.
     I use a similar approach to convert pieces where the 6th course is
   tuned down to F (or where other variant tunings have been used) to a
   version for 7- or 8-course lute or archlute in standard tuning. Under
   f5/instrument, I first put in the custom tunings using "modify custom
   tuning" as necessary to make the piece sound correct when played in
   fronimo. Then hit "apply". Then change to the tuning or instrument you
   want to change to, hit "transpose and transcribe", then "OK", and you
   will get the transposed version, which, again, will probably need to be
   tweaked to make it more playable.
   --Sarge
   --
   Frank A. Gerbode, M.D. (sa...@gerbode.net)