Dear Guilherme,

it's interesting what Philippe writes about Il Fronimo, it would be nice to talk with him about all this stuff. I met him some weeks ago, and he's the only guy I know who isn't lutenist at all and can read all kind of tablature fluently - quite crazy! To respond to your question I can only offer a view on my personal experience as well as some thoughts about it: From my practical experience I had to ask myself exactly these questions when Martina and me were recording our CD with diminutions. She played them on traverso - so I could just play the madrigals without the canto, which worked quite well - but also with violone, and for this I had to play all the voices. Since at this time I had only a fairly big lute (10 courses, 67cm), I decided to step away from perfectly playing all voicing with a perfect voiceleading, and instead making an arrangement which kept the madrigals recognizable, but at the same time quitting some tones of the inner voices and making the intabulations/arrangements more idiomatic for the lute, because above all I though it was more important to get a good phrasing and to make good music instead of hurting my hand. If you're interested in the choices I made, you can find some of the pieces we recorded on youtube. Regarding the amount of instructions about making owns intabulations, Philippe's argument seems not at all unlikely for me. But at the same time I'm asking myself about the differences in taste then and now (maybe for them it was most important to render the madrigal exactly? At the end, they lived in a sphere where only polyphonic music existed, so maybe they would have heard the mistakes made by making the intabulations more suitable for the lute?), and also about which role the size of the lute plays. Did you try to play the "unplayable" parts on a smaller lute? You could just use an capo in your second or third fret, just to try how it feels with a small instrument.

All the best,
Yuval