You can indeed use simple multiplication factors. They are: 0.92 for
   gut / nylgut, 0.78 for fluor-carbon "Alliance". So, 1mm nylon string is
   equivalent 0.92mm gut / nylgut or 0.78mm fluor-carbon.

   What is important to take into account here - in fact, with any methods
   of string calculations - is that different sting materials stretch at
   different rates, with nylgut being the stretchiest of all. For example,
   if the first string on your lute is 0.46 nylon, its nylgut equivalent
   is 0.42. However, bearing in mind that such thin nylgut string can
   stretch by c. 0.04 - 0.05mm under its working tension, you'd have to
   add this amount up to the calculated diameter. So, you end up with the
   same 0.46 gauge for the nylgut.

   The amount you'd have to add to compensate for the stretch factor
   obviously diminishes with thicker strings, so for the fourth course it
   would be c. 0.02 - 0.03mm, or, in practical terms, the next gauge up.

   Gut strings stretch less, so I'd usually add 0.02mm to the calculated
   gauges; perhaps 0.03mm for first strings.

   Can't recommend any online calculators, as I don't use them.

   Hope this helps.

   Alexander