   From: Martyn Hodgson <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
   To: Lute Dmth <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Saturday, 15 August 2020, 08:17:03 BST
   Subject: Early Neapolitan mandolin string tension
   I'd be grateful for information about historic string tension on the
   Neopolitan mamdolin, say, from late 18th through to mid 19th century.
   The mandolin related websites I've seem to focus on the 'modern' robust
   instrument developed in the late 19th/early 20th centuries (often
   arched top and seemingly designed for, what seems to me, to be very
   high string tensions - typically 8Kg to 11 Kg per string ie around 80Kg
   total!)
   Whilst the Neapolitan instrument developed in the later 18thC has a
   canted/bent top to withstand highish tensions I'm sceptical that such
   very high tensions were used on the earlier instrument and would be
   grateful for any advice/ pointers to sites etc since I've been
   unsuccessful in searching so far.
   Possibly not irrelevant is that the single strings of violins of the
   same string length are typically around 5/6Kg for the modern instrument
   and, of course, often less for the period instrument (though not for
   Tartini!)
   Tyler and Sparks important work mentions little about string sizes and
   tensions.
   Martyn