> On Aug 19, 2020, at 6:55 AM, Tristan von Neumann <tristanvonneum...@gmx.de>
> wrote:
>
> Yeah I wonder why it was dubbed progressive.
>
> All the bands like Gentle Giant etc. were heavily influenced by
> Classical Music, mostly Baroque and Renaissance...

It was “progressive” because it moved away from the basic blues and pop
foundation into more complex structures that featured the latest sound
technology and more virtuosic performance. And it was also influenced by music
that was still “modern” in the 1970’s.

Emerson, Lake and Palmer’s first album featured reconceptions of works by
Janacek and Bartok. The story goes that Keith Emerson was surprised to get
phone call from Bartok’s widow reminding him that Allegro Barbaro was still
under copyright and he owed royalties.  ELP later mined Copland, Holst, Rodrigo
and Prokofiev for material.