Orpharions and Bandoras are the main wire-strung instruments - I suspect they were more popular in the renaissance than they are in modern times. Citterns were also strung with wire.  We just had an interesting article in the LSA Quarterly (translated from an article the German Lute Society published) on theorboed bandoras that were probably used as continuo instruments. These could possibly be related to wire-strung archlutes or theorboes - a topic that needs lots more research. I think there might be a few of these instruments that have pins to attach the strings rather than the usual lute-type bridges. Maybe some of the luthiers on the list can comment on them
Nancy
    Dear collective wisdom,

    A friend of mine asked me about this topic.

    He would like to know If there is any literature or historical
    evidence, such as instruments in museums that used metal strings,
    mainly guitars, theorbos, lutes and archlutes.

    Thank you,

    Ricardo Arnt

    Enviado do meu smartphone Samsung Galaxy.

Nancy Carlin
Administrator THE LUTE SOCIETY OF AMERICA
http://LuteSocietyofAmerica.org

PO Box 6499
Concord, CA 94524
USA