Am 22.08.2020 um 21:04 schrieb Wayne:
Hi -

   I have been running this lute mail list since 1998, and it has been
interesting and fun.

I am sure I joined the list in 1995 or 1996. Your are getting old:)

I am probably one of the oldest members on the list - regarding membership, not
my age :)

Arto must have joined before me, Caroline Usher used to be very active and the
older members will remember those wonderful flame wars between Arthur Ness and
a certain person whose name I will not tell you - he has died 1 or 2 years ago.
I think he was the only member that was expelled from the list.

20 years ago the was much higher traffic but loosing the list would be horrible.

By the way, Wayne, what will become of the updates for tab.

Regarding the mailing list we might have a simple free solution.

The newsgroup rec.music.early still exists and there is almost no traffic.

There are free newsgroup servers with mild limitations.
For example nntp.aioe.org does not allow more than 40 [forty] postings per day
from the same IP address. This should be enough for everybody - even Tristan :)

I have posted a test message a few minutes ago and it appeared a few seconds
later.

Configuring a mail client for newsgroups is very easy and takes a few seconds.

Of course, non-lute readers of rec.music.early might complain.
However, the last postings were:

Download Solution Manual Fundamentals of Gas Dynamics (apparently the wrong
newsgroup)

4 postings "Francesco da Milano: Ness 28 = Chiesa number?" this would fit our
list

1 posting regarding recorders.

1 test posting by a certain Rainer

Since apparently there are less than 3 [three] postings per month I don't think
capturing the list would cause severe problems.

For people who have no experience with newsgroups:

You do not have to register.

They are not monitored (depending on server and list)

Attachments are not allowed (at least not on this list)

What do the "expert" think?

Rainer