Just for the record, I was the one who talked John Ward into restructuring his
Dowland Miscellany so it included all those appendices (of which, as it
happens, ran the alphabet A to Z). As originally submitted, some of John’s
footnotes ran to several pages of typescript. In a journal accustomed to
footnotes actually being at the bottom of the page, this created numerous
editorial and layout challenges.

Over lunch one day when he was visiting the west coast, I managed to talk him
into the logic of separating his main text, complete with its detailed “Index
of the Works” from the supporting material. I’m glad he listened to his editor.
Even then, John would call me every few days excited about fresh, new tidbits
in information he had discovered.

Peter Danner, Editor of JLSA from 1975 — 1982