Not because he was a lute player, Henry was a lute player...

Bob Purrenhage

On 8/26/2020 9:38 PM, Richard Brook wrote:
I note Henry VIII (source: Hilary Mantel) executed a lute player for sleeping
(so Henry claimed) with Anne Boleyn.

So things are looking up.

Dick Brook

On Aug 26, 2020, at 8:13 PM, theoj89...@new-old-mail.cs.dartmouth.edu wrote:

   Dear luters:
   What does the future hold the lute?
   In the waning days of this wonderful email list (Thanks Wayne!!), I
   thought I would invite thoughts regarding the future of the lute and
   the lute community. As I muse, it seems that this present lute revival
   started in 1960's - 70's largely out of the folk music revival and
   early music revival. I notice that many of our fellow lute enthusiasts
   are growing older (as am I). And with the recent passing of Julian
   Bream, I thought it prescient to reflect:
   What will the next 10, 20, or 50 years look like for the lute and lute
   community?
   Is interest in the lute on the decline, ascendency, or moving in some
   other direction?
   Is this trajectory different in different countries?
   The internet has revolutionized access to manuscripts, publishers, and
   recordings. Will the internet ultimately drive interest to diversions
   other than the lute?
   And when will Hollywood finally make a sizzling historical romance
   about a lute player and bring the lute back to be a symbol of
   seduction, as it should be? (Hopefully the movie won't be about Mark
   Smeaton.)
   Thoughts?
   theodore jordan