There have been numerous comments about the graying of lute
   enthusiasts.   My personal experience may give us a little hope.   I
   grew up in a very high Anglican church with William Byrd and other such
   composers.   By the time I was ten early music  was almost all of my
   music.   When I was sixteen, 1958 I think, I bought my first Julian
   Bream lute record.   Around 1960 - possibly 62, I found a six course
   Hauser style lute at the old Whittle Music Company in Dallas, Texas.
   I tuned it in guitar intervals so I could play some of the simple
   Renaissance dittys I'd learned from my very Cockney classical guitar
   teacher, Edward Freeman.   The lute disappeared when I went into the
   U.S. armed forces in 1965.   Afterwords I had numerous classical and
   flamenco guitars but no lute for a long time, but never lost interest.
     Through working with Harold Westover in the 1980s I built a seven
   course HIP lute and a six course vihuela de mano.   Through my newly
   acquired  skills in Harold's Westover Workshop for Historical Musical
   Instruments I had at one time or the other an eight course lute, a five
   course early lute, and a bowed vielle.   Now all of this took place
   before age forty five.   I truly believe there must have been more
   young people with similar inclinations.   I couldn't have been the only
   one.   Today my only lute is an eight course Manouk Papazian very non
   HIP instrument that I bought from Charles Mokotoff.   HIP or non HIP I
   lov'em all.   There must be some youngsters out there making the
   musical discoveries that I made back in those long lost 1950s.