Hi Piers,

On Sun, Dec 18, 2022, at 18:52, Piers Rowan via luv-main wrote:
> I'm sure we have all used a few distros in the past (like many!).
>
> So CentOS is going away where to next?
>
> My main use case is LAMP servers (I us Ubuntu as my Desktop). Is Debain
> the best candidate or does stable lag to far behind? Is RHEL the only
> way forward because of the shallow learning curve? Is Ubuntu having a
> shot at the title? Oracle perhaps?

Yeah, like many of us, I've tried various distros, but I've
ended up mainly staying with Debian (with a few exceptions).  It
seems to be the best balance overall considering free-software
principles, practicality, etc.

Yes, Debian stable does tend to lag behind the latest
developments (so on most of my machines I run Debian testing
quite smoothly with no problems to speak of), but for most
standard LAMP things you'd be doing that won't make a
significant difference.  And if there's some package you really
need a recent version of, sometimes you can just do a one-off
install.  It really depends on what mix of things you'll be
doing.  And maybe there's some merit in lagging if you want
stability.

> https://www.hostinger.com/tutorials/centos-replacement

That made interesting reading.  My quibble would be that Debian
runs on quite a few more architectures than are listed in this
article.  Notable omissions are ARM and MIPS (which I'm running
on some of my non-x86 machines, though some are Debian
derivatives, like Mobian, Raspian, PureOS).  But probably for
your use case, it'll be only x86_64 that matters.

Also, I don't think it's fair to say that Debian is only for
advanced users.  I've set up Debian on machines for family
members who are just plain folk (that is, non-technical), and
they use it quite happily day to day.  (It's a great way of
keeping old hardware going, like older Macbooks.)  And the
installation process has got much better over the years.

Of course, a laptop / desktop setup is different from a server
setup, but if you're running a server, you need some level of
technical knowledge anyway.

I guess it'll depend a lot on what you want to do, and whether
it's on your own real hardware, or on some virtualized setup.

> Anyone made the switch and what was their take on it?

I can't say anything about switching from Centos, because I've
never used it, and my usage of Red Hat was a long time ago.

Maybe you could set up a trial installation of Debian (and of
the other contenders), to try them out, and see which works best
for you.

— Smiles, Les.