On 3/1/23 14:09, Les Kitchen via luv-main wrote:
To back what Duncan said, yes, it's always worthwhile trying a
known good cable.  May the Good Lord protect us from bad USB
cables!
I connected it to a different port on the hub (further away from the other cables), and had more success.
What I was going to suggest is to use smartctl (from the
smartmontools package, at least on Debian).  You can investigate
the SMART status, and even run self tests.

Thank you for the reminder - I had forgotten one could run smartctl via USB.

The short SMART self-test passed, and the btrfs scrub (thank you for that suggestion as well) reported no errors. In addition, I was able to complete an rsync process.

I suspect the connection or the cable.