On Tuesday, 23 June 2026 08:38:39 AEST Tim Rice via luv-main wrote:
> Some of you already know me, and I hope you're doing well!
> 
> As I'm currently between roles, Rodney suggested the LUV jobs service to me.
> However, it looks like the jobs mailing list was recently closed, so
> hopefully it's okay for me to put out some feelers on main instead :)

We recently did a reorganisation of the lists and the luv-jobs list was 
removed because it had hardly any traffic and hardly any subscribers.  There 
are some topics where a small number of people is sufficient, but for jobs 
most employers won't hiring at any given time and the ones that are might not 
have a fit for your skills.  So quantity is very important for jobs.

> I'm based in Loch Sport. I moved here last year under the impression I'd
> have 100% remote work forever after. Unfortunately, that was a bit
> premature and the remote work prospects seem to be drying up lately :P
> Oops.

It sucks the way the government is trying to prop up real estate companies by 
encouraging office based work.  Especially when we have world-wide fuel 
shortages and driving to work is extremely inefficient for petrol vehicles.

But there are companies hiring for remote.  The last few positions I've been 
in discussions with over Linkedin have emphasised the remote component of the 
work up front.

Some of the positions I've been in discussions with have been advertised as 
partially remote work with the first few weeks on-site.  If I was in your 
situation I'd make plans around living in a motel for a few weeks at the start 
of employment and spending one week a month in a motel.  This of course 
depends on your personal situation, my health is fine for living in motels and 
I don't have any dependents who would suffer if I was away for a week but not 
everyone is in that situation.

I have idly considered actively seeking such work in places that are within a 
day's driving such as Canberra.  I try to avoid planes as much as possible, I 
have caught Covid19 once and that was on a work flight.

> * Nearly ten years operating Ubuntu Server fleets for OpenStack and HPC.
> Most recently in so-called neo-clouds, I've got strong experience with most
> OpenStack services and their supporting infrastructure such as VLANs, Ceph,
> OVS, Mariadb/MySQL, Bind9, Prometheus, Grafana, NetBox, Puppet, Ansible,
> Terraform, Jenkins, Gerrit and GitHub Actions. I've dealt with a wide
> variety of hardware including Dell, SuperMicro, Asus, HPE and OctoMiner,
> with Mellanox cards and up to 8x NVIDIA cards at once, with NVLinks and
> SR-IOV. I've done plenty of deployments with MAAS and orchestrated the
> warranties of so much faulty hardware you just wouldn't believe. I can
> script IPMITool and Redfish.

That's a decent skill set and a good match for a lot of positions.  I'd 
definitely like to have someone with those skills as a colleague.

> * I've been devoted to Linux since 2008, and have built up a deep knowledge
> of all the sysadmin "primitives" such as shell scripting, namespaces,
> OpenSSH, device manager, filesystems, IPtables, dnsmasq, iproute2, kernel
> memory management, Git, C programming, jq, LMod and the GNU ecosystem. I'm
> great at applying my knowledge of these primitives to engineer
> minimalistic, robust and reproducible systems and pipelines. I'm also an
> official GNU maintainer and, as an extra flex, everything in my SOHO
> (including my custom router) runs Gentoo BTW.

What are you the GNU maintainer for?  Do you have an active Github account?

https://github.com/etbe

I've heard that some employers like to look at Github as part of the hiring 
process, I've never been into github and only use it when forced to do so.  It 
shows my PRs but I don't have projects there.  I have idly considered just 
putting a heap of stuff there to make it look impressive.

https://salsa.debian.org/users/etbe/projects

I have stuff in Salsa (the Debian git system) but I don't know if employers 
will be interested in that.  Maybe I'm just better off not working for a 
company that can't look at Salsa.

> And feel free to connect on LinkedIn if that's how you roll:
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/timothy-rice-45641329b/

I've sent a connection request.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/russell-coker-69652a1a/

Here's my Linkedin page for any active LUV members who want to connect.

> Thanks for your patience with this email, hopefully it's not too much noise
> for this list!

The problem we face with this list is lack of content.  So anything vaguely 
related to Linux goes at this time.  Hopefully after Phil's good work in 
fixing the list software we can get more discussion happening but even if/when 
that happens posts about Linux employment will remain on topic here.

-- 
My Main Blog         http://etbe.coker.com.au/
My Documents Blog    http://doc.coker.com.au/



_______________________________________________
luv-main mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]

Reply via email to