On 7/1/26 8:56 PM, Russell Coker via luv-main wrote:
The resolvectl command is supposed to be able to set this and I have done it
in the past, but I can't work it out from the man page and the google hits
haven't turned up anything useful.  Anyone know how to use resolvectl to do
this?  Before anyone says "read the source", I have read quite a bit of
systemd source and it is not easy for outsiders to understand.
It would still be good to solve this technical problem.  This should be easy
to do!  I really should write more blog posts of the "here's 2 lines of shell
script that took me a week to work out" genre because I have solved this in
the past.


Yeah that's a lotta hassle right there. on some systems I just drop the three DNS servers into /etc/resolv.conf and make sure that /etc/nsswitch.conf lists

```
files dns nis
```
I typically control at least two of the nameservers specified in resolv.conf so I can create any zone I like, but /etc/hosts being placed before dns in nsswitch creates a quick and dirty override for hosts. The problem is that you're working with MX RRs so your MTA using specific DNS servers w/o any AUTH zone data being reported back isn't going to help you with respect to mail, like it does for example, with a single A RR for a web site, etc.

Anyway, you got it fixed, and yes, I know I didn't cover this from a systemd perspective, I covered it from a Slackware perspective, which is typically why it's my goto and comfort zone. We're even considering which X to support moving forward in the wake of Wayland, presumably for those who aren't into that jam, and/or for those who are concerned (that's an understatement) that Redhat has been reverting commits, etc.

On that last point, and for those who aren't afraid of checking out and playing with things in "testing", it's already there and you can run that flavor of X if you wish to try it out (FYI, it's pretty solid actually). Here's a couple of resources to check out if you're interested:

https://Slackware.com
https://x11libre.net
https://github.com/x11libre/xserver

Okay... so... I lied, lolz: three sources :)

Anyway, I'm so happy that we're beyond this domain expiry stuff. That's not a good look, but I guess it goes without saying?

Enjoy!

--
Bradley D. Thornton
Manager Network Services
https://NorthTech.US
Key available at:
https://keyoxide.org/A0E3913390670CCE

Attachment: OpenPGP_0xA0E3913390670CCE.asc
Description: OpenPGP public key

Attachment: OpenPGP_signature.asc
Description: OpenPGP digital signature

_______________________________________________
luv-main mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]

Reply via email to