On Sat, 2014-08-30 at 21:07 +0800, Sun Keqin wrote:
> Hi all,
>     How to run a GUI program (eg. firefox) with lxc-execute?  The error
> message is:  “Error: no display specified”. Maybe lxc-execute log in a new
> user(root) and it does’t have the right to start XWindow. Do you have any
> idea to deal with that?  Thanks!

It doesn't work like that at all.

FireFox is looking for the DISPLAY environment variable to tell it how
to connect back to a running X11 display.  No attempt at running X will
be made.

For example, on my local laptop right now...

[mhw@canyon ~]$ echo $DISPLAY
:0

Firefox (or rather the underlying X libraries and toolkits) will use
that :0 to open a window on the local X11 display 0.

Here's one of my remote systems, to which I'm connected over ssh with
X11 forwarding enabled:

[mhw@mtking ~]$ echo $DISPLAY
localhost:11.0

NOW, FireFox will attempt to connect to an X11 display socket over
localhost and attempt to open a window on the X11 display 11.0.

I'm not sure how you would convey that across lxc-execute because we
generally flush the environment and you need to pass that as an
environment variable.  I'm not even totally sure if passing ":0" across
into a container would work either, as the system local display
connection may not be available in the container.

> Jimmy

Regards,
Mike
--