Thank  you.  I have used lxd since months but usually it was after compiling from sources (under debian). I have not changed anything except installing with apt under bionic ("reformatting" a computer where there was lxd under debian) I do not imagine bionic adding a hidden firewall but I have no experience of Ubuntu, only debian.
and 127.0.0.53, is a loopback address.