On Mon, 12 Dec 2011, István Király - LaKing wrote:

Hi folks.

I'm trying to compose a system, where lxc containers behave like virtual hosts for a web server.

As next step I would like to minimize container size. My question is, what the best, most elegant and fail proof  technique for that?

At this moment I'm thinking of a "master container" and "slave containers" where the /usr folder for example in the slave containers is a mount from the master container. That gives a significant size drop already, from 400 to 40 megabytes.

I would like to keep the containers really minimal. 4 megabyte should be small enough.

Lets say only some important files in /etc ....

Has anyone any experience with this technique?   Thank you for sharing.

I use something similar for my hosted PBXs (asterisk).

Each PBX container mounts a commonn set of directories from teh host for the asterisk installation - e.g. the asterisk binaries, libraries, modules and sounds. also a common set for apache. This is all in the fstab referenced from each containers config file, so they're all bind-mounted at container start time. (read only too)

One thing to beware of - you can't share everything like this - e.g. /usr - which I initially thought I could - well, maybe I could, but doing things like apt-get update in one container would potentially update files in /usr in all containers which might not be the best thing. You could probably do it with care though - I simply can't be bothered.

I have to say: I'm not really that bothered about disk space - it's not a big deal. I do it that way as it makes it easier to update asterisk over all the containers. My "LAMP" type containers don't do any of this.

Gordon
Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011