Thomas Dickey wrote in
 <zlpf6rz52lw3a...@prl-debianold-64.jexium-island.net>:
 |The current version of lynx is 2.9.2
 |* adapt special case of gzip decompression in 2.8.9dev.12 to brotli, \
 |to handle
 |  downloads from websites which support "br" (report by Rajeev V Pillai) \

That made me look .. i see IsCompressionFormat() does not handle
the zstd that is more and more used in the open source software
world, for package formats etc, and supported by webservers, too
(ie the wonderful lighttpd i use since 1.4.59 in 2021).

I personally totally jumped on that train some years ago (to have
at least a little communion on facebook), as this algorithm is
a RFC standard, and scales from very very fast (lz4 but better
compression) to almost-as-good-as-xz (in "normal" cases) on the
compression side, and is always very verfy fast on decompression.
(However, just recently, i admit, i started switching several use
cases to the much smaller lzlib/plzip (with patches) as this
compresses better (also corner cases like simple ASCII text file;
it only uses CRC-32, but he uses maths in its overall favour so he
is maybe right to remain)

  -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 985160 Mar 30 23:15 /usr/bin/zstd*
  -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 147176 May  9 02:55 /usr/bin/plzip*

  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   68056 Mar 30 23:12 /usr/lib/liblz.a
  -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  809856 Mar 30 23:15 /usr/lib/libzstd.so.1.5.6*
  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1010184 Mar 30 23:15 /usr/lib/libzstd.a

yet not for everything since it is not (easily) available
everywhere (yet).  (lzlib is BSD licensed, yet plzip is not.)

Would you be interested in adding support for that?
If i write a patch?
(lz will surely never be used for HTTP on-the-fly compression.)

--steffen