On Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 05:53:25AM -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been looking over reLyX.lyx, trying to decide how to fit it into the
> main docs. John W suggested putting it in the UG. I think it's really a
> bit too big for that and doesn't really fit with the style of the rest of
> the UG. I would propose adding a summary of reLyX.lyx to the UG,
> concentrating on the File->Import aspect of it, with a reference to the
> main reLyX man page. Frankly, I would include reLyX.lyx as the original
> man page reLyX.1, since it is really describing a separate program.
> (Sorry, Amir, I know you are proud of that translation.) Thoughts?

I would be offended, but it's friday.

I agree that the style is totally different. I sort of feel like the syntax
file stuff, as well as the descriptions of what reLyX can and cannot
translate, belong in the UG. Even if you're just using File->Import,
the syntax files can be useful, and of course it's nice to know what reLyX
supports. Especially once Asger adds the new fancy popup for applying all of
the reLyX options, the hope is that you would very rarely need to use it as
a separate program.

OTOH, there are reasons to leave it as a manpage. One significant one is
that reLyX will be changing (hopefully) more often than lyx. If we keep the
docs for reLyX with reLyX, then every time I (excuse me; I and the hordes of
other reLyX coders) add features, I can put them in the man page and check
it in. However, if I add a feature and have to put it in the lyxdocs, then
checking in won't help, because most people won't bother checking out the
lyxdocs all the time, even if they do check out the new reLyX. I think this
reason may be significant enough to tip the scales to the side of leaving
things like they are, with perhaps a bit me documentation in UG. Of course,
when we (I mean asger) adds the popup, we'll need to put in more docs, and
then we'll have to keep updating both sets... but hopefully we'll be able to
find a relatively stable subset of reLyX to document in UG. I don't think
the options will be changing much, although new ones may be added of course.

Mike, could you s/call/called/ in the reLyX section of UG? I'll try to add a
bit more, mentioning syntax files and the like today if I remember.

-Amir