I wasn't able to give a good answer when i asked this, so here it is.

The question came from a reasonably experienced latexie.

He needs to change the spacing on the first page to use letterhead.  I
suggested vspace, but :

***
Yes, I am. The \vspace worked, but I had to put it in a My Address
environment to make it have an effect. Putting in the My Address
environment also moved the closure over to a center format, which is
kind of a drag. I thought there might be a simple way to format the
topmargin of the first page in a letter document, since different
letterheads obviously demand some special control of this parameter. I
don't know how to influence only the topmargin on the first page.
***

I assume such an easy way exists, but i have no idea what it is.

rick