OK, I've created a new version of the home page.

I started with Larry's version of Martin's PR paragraphs. I took the first
paragraph and put it in "What is LyX?". Then I added a couple sentences, and
moved the LGT back to the top of the page. I think the intro paragraphs are
still short enough that "1.0 is released!" doesn't get lost.

I took Larry's second paragraph and put it under the v1.0 stuff. I had to
change it a bit to fit in with the rest of the page, and I mentioned the
math editor, since it's not mentioned anywhere else on the page and it's one
of LyX's best features (at *least* as worth of mention as LyX's margin
support!)

Changed the ftp link to stable/lyx-1.0.0. We *ought* to link to
pub/lyx/lyx-current, but that file is still linked to 0.12. As soon as it
gets fixed, I think the home page should be (re-)updated.

Finally, I put an LGT link in the navbar. I was worried that that would make
the navbar different on different pages, but you know what, they already
*are* different on different pages (Henner Zeller exists on some, e.g.), so
who cares? At some point, we'll need to go through and make everything
standard, but for now I'm more concerned about accurate links and such.

Let me know about typing errors et al.

-Amir
Title: LyX - The Document Processor

LyX - The Document Processor

Menu

Navigate
  • Main page
  • More about LyX
  • Screenshots
  • License
  • Features
  • How to get it
  • Graphical Tour
  • Feedback
  • Mailing Lists
  • Developers Only
    LyX Links
  • David Johnson

  • includes a Rogue's Gallery of some of the LyX Team members
  • Matthias Ettrich

  • in Germany by the founder of the project (partially obsolete)
  • Alejandro Aguilar

  • "LyX, el Procesador de Palabras" - a page in Spanish
  • Asger Alstrup

  • another one in Danish: "LyX - et tekstbehandlings system til Unix"
  • Jürgen Vigna

  • a LyX page located in Italy
  • Allan Rae

  • located in the southern hemisphere, in Australia to be exact

    Mailing List Archives
  • Announcement list
  • User's list
  • Developer's list

    What is LyX?

    LyX is an advanced UNIX open source "document processor". Unlike standard word processors, LyX encourages writing based on the structure of your documents, not their appearance, It lets you concentrate on writing, leaving details of visual layout to the software.

    With the familiar face of a WSYWIG word processor, LyX produces high quality, professional output -- using LaTeX, an industrial strength typesetting engine. No knowledge of LaTeX is required to use LyX; however, there is also a "TeX mode" which allows you to enter plain LaTeX commands.

    Read more about LyX here.

    The LyX Graphical Tour

    New! Our Doc Team has produced an excellent Graphical Tour of LyX, which demonstrates some of the key features of LyX in a graphical way. Check it out!

    LyX version 1.0 has been released!

    As promised, LyX v1.0.0 was released on February 1, 1999.

    LyX version 1.0 has a few new features since version 0.12.0. Compared to the more widely released 0.10.7, version 1.0 is an immense improvement.

    This release offers extensive control over fonts, margins, headers/footers, spacing/indents, justification, bullet types in multilevel lists, included figures, a sophisticated table editor, an outstanding math editor, and version control for collaborative projects. Brand new to LyX is a solid import filter for legacy LaTeX documents. LyX 1.0 also includes a (constantly growing) library of formats and templates for letters, articles, books, overheads, even Hollywood scripts.

    Lots and lots of new features have been added, speed has improved, documentation has been rewritten basically from scratch -- the list of improvements is too long to mention here. Check out the WHATSNEW and CHANGES files in the distribution, or look at the Features page.

    How to get LyX

    Latest Stable Release

    Here's a link to the latest stable sources at the main LyX site in France: lyx-1.0.0.tar.gz. There are also mirrors available. Check the "How to get it" page.

    Pre-releases (if any) of new stable versions are here.

    Also, you can get the very latest bugfixes from the LyX developer's site via anonymous CVS.

    Development versions

    Development releases are not for general use because they are by definition unstable and the probability of losing your work is high.

    Nevertheless, development releases are useful for a number of other purposes: You can use them to check out what direction LyX is moving in. You can become a beta-tester and find bugs. Or, you can give a hand and write some code to implement your favourite missing feature.

    The development version can be found on www.devel.lyx.org, as can other information for developers.

    What about KLyX?

    KLyX is a port of LyX version 0.12.0 to KDE done primarily by Matthias Ettrich and Kalle Dalheimer. Read more about this on our LyX vs. KLyX page.

    42364 hits since last crash.
    Last modified Wed Feb 3 11:44:51 EST 1999
    [EMAIL PROTECTED] and my homepage.