On Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 02:32:49PM -0600, Roland Krause wrote:
> That's what I was saying,
> if you want the /. dudes attention you'll have to go over the license.
> But as Rick is the only one who has a clue about that, I would ask him.
> He's the guy who they are going to flame the living crap out of...
>
> Roland
>
> On 03-Feb-99 Asger K. Alstrup Nielsen wrote:
> >
> > Well, at least the linuxtoday.com site posted the press release.
> > Let's hope LWN, freshmeat and the others will make a more proper notice
> > of it now that the announcement is "officially" out.
> >
> > Slashdot is not all, after all.  Did you send the announcement to the
> > Slashdot dude?  If he does not respond to it, we might point to the license
> > stuff to try to get some more attention, although attention of the
> > program is better than of the license.

I think it would be a bad idea to bring up the license stuff. The
muttonheads will fill up Rick's mailbox, and any attention it gets won't be
attention that makes people want to use the program.

lyx.org has gotten another 1000 hits since I said they had 5500. I think
that's plenty of attention, thank you. (Obviously, most of the hits
aren't actually downloading, especially since about 50% of that is me
comparing my new versions of the pages to the originals :)
It was mentioned as a quickie on slashdot, which is more than most programs
get.

Anyway, we decided that 1.2 is going to be the super-PR tell everyone in the
world about LyX release. For now, let's:

- make new users comfortable with 1.0.0. This will give us practice helping
  newbies. If we're lucky, we'll also pick up a couple new devvies out of
this.

- release 1.0.1 soon, with lots of bugfixes

- make the 1.1 release cycle faster than 0.11 was.

I think we should consider this release a learning experience. One thing
I've learned is that as soon as 1.2pre1 comes out, anyone who's not fixing
bugs should be updating all of the text files, making last minute fixes to
the docs, and *updating the website*, so that on Release day 1.2, we don't
run into the kind of mess we're having today. Yes, that's at least a few
months away, but let's not forget these lessons!

-Amir