Andy> How do I type, or get at, an ascii character that exists but is
Andy> not on the keyboard. A suggestion for the manual?

If your X setup has a working compose key, you should be able to type,
for example, Compose+?+? and get ¿. Otherwise, you can configure LyX
to do translations by itself. Have a look in Help->Customization.

Andy> If I follow a reference to find out what it is about I do not
Andy> know how to go back? This is irritating. I would like a back
Andy> command like on the web. However, it would be better to know at
Andy> the point of typing (see labels below).

The back command is C-<

Andy> I want (need) to use Figures outside floats. I usually have a
Andy> lot of figures at the end of the report. The number of floats
Andy> defeats latex.  The number of figures will defeat me unless I
Andy> can reference them. How do I create a Figure set outside the
Andy> floats (see labels below).

A solution is to put several commands in the same float (I think it
works). Otherwise, the LateX package endfloats.sty does what you
want. A third possibility is to add a \clearpage (in TeX) from times
to times to end the current page and output a bunch of floats.

Andy> I find it impossible to highlight a section of text which goes
Andy> off the top or bottom of the screen because it scrolls too fast.

Your machine is too fast, get an older one ;)

Seriously, I don't know what to do about that.

Andy> Some thoughts on labels:

Andy> I would like to see sets of labels.  - a set for figures - a set
Andy> for references - a set for tables - a set for sections - a set
Andy> for equations - a set for some enumerated items I may make up -
Andy> etc...  At present these are all jumbled up and the user has to
Andy> remember to prepend the label with the name of the set (eg,
Andy> "RefFredBloggs", "SecResults").

Yes, this would be nice. I'd like to see something like that in next
major version, but we would have to change the handling of references
to get that.

Andy> Also the user has to add the label. For several of the sets such
Andy> as Figures, Tables and Sections this should be unecessary since
Andy> lyx has already defined them for the user. What is needed is the
Andy> Figure caption, Table capation, Section caption to be displayed
Andy> in the reference popup for the particular set.

This is how word does it indeed, and it has some advantages. However,
there is a need to generate the labels for LaTeX anyhow (especially if
you want to send the file to human readers; as an editor, I would hate
to have labels with criptic names). And what if two figures have the
same description?

Andy> I would like to be able to add a word before the enumerated
Andy> number (e.g.  Figure, Table, see above).

These words already appear in captions, don't they?

Andy> Do not want to sound critical. I like where the project is going
Andy> (well, probably, if you do not adopt C++ as a scripting
Andy> language!).

This has been proposed :)