>   AAN> Yes, but then we would have N times the wait of loading
>   AAN> external code tables, rather than 1 time the waiting for
>
> you only need one or two, why load it if you don't need it?

Because I don't care to implement an encoding parser, just to save maybe 15k of
memory.
Also, notice that other Encodings will require a different approach to the
conversion problem.  So before we would be able to generally put Encodings in
external files, we would need to write a much more complicated parser, and
Encoding format.  This would bring down the saving to much less, if any at all.
Not only would the saving be much smaller, but we would also have a more
complicated program that is harder to maintain.

I'm not really interested in this, because it seems to be wasted energy to me.

If you are so frightened of the extra memory involved with these encodings (of
course these 15k will make your machine trash real hard), just comment out the
encodings that you don't need, and you'll have a smaller executable.

Conclusion:  Stop complaining, or implement the support yourself.  I'll focus
on other things that I think is important, such as implementing other Encodings
that we need.

Greets,

Asger